Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Nazira, now and 16 years before...

Nazira is a small town in the Sibsagar district of Assam, India. This was the place where I spent four years of my childhood; in fact I studied till my second grade there. Now, 16 years later, my father is again extending his service in Assam…the district renamed to Shivsagar, is fully grown into a big city with lot of hotels and cars. My mom and sis are spending their summer holidays there. Today they had gone to my father’s workplace, an oil rig in the forests of Assam. They happened to pass by the town of Nazira. Now Nazira has a shopping complex and lot of big bungalows .Then it used to be a lifeless town, whose major population belonged to the ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation). Even now it is the case, but the local people had become rich now. The shore of the Brahmaputra’s tributary which once used to be deserted is now full of shops and crowd. I still remember the sight when the river used to flow brimful. This is gonna be a memorable visit for my sister, who was just a three year old kid then. I missed this trip due to some expected work in Bangalore :o(

No comments:

Post a Comment